Language Accessibility Advisory Committee (LAAC)
Inyo County Elections Office is interested in forming a local language accessibility advisory committee (LAAC). There are currently no members on this committee. If we receive at least three interested members of our community to form this committee, we will proceed with the actions and responsibilities as provided below.
The Inyo County Elections LAAC must have a minimum of three of community members that meet quarterly with Inyo County election officials to offer recommendations on how to improve election access for voters with disabilities.
LAAC will provide community members the opportunity to meet with election officials on a quarterly basis in an effort to improve and increase voting accessibility for those for whom English is a second language.
Inyo County offers targeted voting assistance in Spanish. The purpose the LAAC is to provide the Elections Office with the information necessary to enhance this language support to ensure all voters feel educated and informed about casting their ballot in Inyo County.
Members of the Inyo County LAAC will be asked to examine existing election procedures and language support practices to help us determine if new methodologies and programs would improve and increase accessibility for all eligible voters. Duties include:
- Evaluating informational resources like the Elections website and Voter Information Guide for clarity and ease of access.
- Reviewing existing voting systems and locations to identify possible barriers for non-English speakers,
- Refining training programs to ensure multilingual assistance in targeted languages is available during an election’s voting period,
Interested parties, particularly those with experience working or volunteering with language-based community groups, are encouraged to apply. An application can be downloaded and submitted via email to email@example.com. All applications will be considered, though priority membership will be offered to voters of Inyo County.
- Experience with language advocacy, outreach, or technology
- An understanding of barriers faced by voters with language needs
- Able to attend meetings
- Able to serve at least one year
Meetings will be held both in-person and virtually quarterly and may be scheduled more frequently on an as-needed basis.
Questions about membership in the Inyo County VAAC or LAAC? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 760-878-0224.