Voting Accessibility Advisory Committee (VAAC)
Inyo County Elections Office is interested in forming a local voting accessibility advisory committee (VAAC). There are currently no members on this committee. If we receive at least three interested members of our community to form this committee, we will proceed with the actions and responsibilities as provided below.
The Inyo County Elections VAAC must have a minimum of three of community members that meet quarterly with Inyo County election officials to offer recommendations on how to improve election access for voters with disabilities.
VAAC members will help raise awareness of disability issues through their involvement and may assist the Inyo County Elections Office with numerous projects, including assessing the accessibility of potential polling places and the production of the Poll Worker Training Guide.
Members examine existing election processes and materials and provide the advice, insight and information needed to ensure all eligible Inyo County voters can participate in the electoral process independently and privately. Duties include:
- Evaluating Inyo County voting systems and locations to identify any barriers that might limit access for those living with disabilities;
- Advising on training programs to ensure effective assistance is available during an election’s voting period; and
- Reviewing communication channels to ensure all voters have unimpeded access to critical information and education about Inyo County elections.
Interested parties, particularly those with experience working or volunteering with accessibility advocacy groups, are encouraged to apply. An application can be downloaded and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be considered, though priority membership will be offered to voters of Inyo County.
- Experience with accessibility advocacy, outreach, or technology
- An understanding of barriers faced by voters with disabilities
- Able to attend meetings
- Able to serve at least one year
Meetings are held both in-person and virtually quarterly and may be scheduled more frequently on an as-needed basis.
Questions about membership in the Inyo County VAAC or LAAC? Email us at email@example.com or give us a call at 760-878-0224.