The best source is the direct source!
Voter Information Requests
Voter information, such as street address, telephone number, driver’s license (or identification card) number, precinct number, and certain other information about registered voters is confidential under California law, and the Elections Office is prohibited from publicly disclosing that information to any person except as described below. The Elections Office is not permitted to release confidential voter registration information to private attorneys, private investigators and process servers.
The Elections Office may disclose confidential voter information to:
- Any candidate for federal, state, or local office;
- Any authorized committee for or against any initiative, referendum, recall or bond measure for which legal publication is made;
- Any person for election, scholarly, journalistic, or political purposes; and
- Any person for governmental purposes, as determined by the Secretary of State.
(California Elections Code Sections 2187, 2188, and 2194)
Driver’s license numbers, social security numbers, and signatures as shown on voter registration cards cannot and will not be released.
Before the Elections Office may publicly disclose confidential voter information to a requester, the requester must complete and sign, under penalty of perjury, an Application for Voter Registration Information form. The information required on the Application may include, but not limited to:
- Requester’s personal information.
- Description of the data being requested.
- Intended use of data.
- If the requester submits an application on behalf of another person or organization, the requester must also include the following: The name of the person, organization, company, committee, association or group requesting the voter registration information, including their complete mailing address and telephone number. The name of the person authorizing or requesting the application to obtain voter registration information. A letter on the letterhead of the candidate/organization stating that they are aware that voter registration information is being requested on their behalf by the person submitting the application.
- A copy of the requester’s driver’s license, state identification card or other identification approved by the Secretary of State.
- Payment for the cost of the file/data.
- Provision for shipping and/or delivery, either in payment for shipping costs (providing your FedEx account number is recommended) or instructions as to how to deliver data (for example, how to notify requester when data is available for pickup).
Pay by cash or check. Make checks payable to Inyo Elections Office. The fees for voter data are $23 for campaigns and $0.50 per thousand voters for candidates.
Please find a complete list of of reports that are available from the elections office.
Return the application form and the fee by mail or in person to the Inyo County Elections office, PO Drawer F, Independence CA 93526.
Warning for misuse of confidential data
Misuse, permit of misuse, or commercial use of voter registration information is prohibited by law and is a misdemeanor. (California Elections Code, Division 17 Penal Provisions, Section 18109; Title 2, Division 7, Article 1, Section 19001 – 19007 of California Administrative Code)
The information (or a portion or copy thereof) cannot be sold, leased, loaned, or given to any person, organization or agency, without first receiving written authorization to do so from the Secretary of State or the county elections official.
The requester agrees to pay the State of California, or the source agency, as compensation for any UNAUTHORIZED USE OF EACH INDIVIDUAL’S REGISTRATION INFORMATION an amount equal to the sum of fifty cents ($.50) multiplied by the number of times each registration record is used by the Applicant in an unauthorized manner.
If you have any questions about the use of voter information or to report suspected misuse, please call the Secretary of State’s Voter Protection and Assistance hotline at 1-800-345-8683.