Inyo County Elections

Military and Overseas Voting

If you’re a United States citizen living overseas as a civilian or in the military, there are several ways you to request, receive, and return your ballot.

Request a Ballot

Even if you were registered to vote in the U.S., to vote when living or serving overseas, you’ll need to complete and return the following forms.

Receive Your Ballot

You’ll receive a blank ballot either electronically or via mail, at the address you provided, 45 days before any election in which you are entitled to vote.

If you completed all required steps but have not received your ballot 30 days before an election, submit a completed Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB).

Complete and Send in Your Ballot

Overseas voters have a number of options for returning completed ballots:

Local Mail

If you have a reliable mail service to the United States, put your ballot in the mail with appropriate international postage.

U.S. Embassy Diplomatic Pouch

You or another person can drop off your ballot request (FPCA) or completed ballot at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for return to the United States. It must be addressed to your local election officials and have sufficient U.S. postage, or be in a postage-paid envelope. A postage-paid envelope is available on the FVAP website. Contact the U.S. embassy voting assistance officer or visit the embassy’s website for specific instructions.

Fax Your Ballot

Important! To return your ballot by fax, you must also send an oath that you understand you are waiving your right to a secret ballot.

  • If you choose to fax your ballot, you must also fax an Oath.
  • Fax number for voted ballots: 760-878-1805.

Email Your Ballot

Email return is not allowed in California. For assistance returning your ballot if you are having trouble finding a fax machine, contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program and they will assist you with securely returning your ballot.